Nowadays, the Python programming language is one of the most popular and used by the global community of programmers. These are reasons why you should use it.
1) Simple and easy to use. The idea behind Python was to create a language with a syntax that is as close as possible to human language, to soften its learning curve. For example, while in other languages such as Java, printing “Hello world” requires more than three lines, in Python it requires only one line! Another example is its indented, since it is possible to read a block of code as if it were written in English, when using words like “not” or “in”. With the easy syntax, the python coding language is extremely easy to comprehend. The language was subjected to a range of tweaks over the previous fifteen years to allow it to be smoother and more efficient.
2) Portable. Python is an interpreted and multipurpose language, which makes it possible to find interpreters for practically all existing operating systems: Windows, Linux, Mac, Solaris, Unix, Linux, Android, and even PlayStation platforms.
3) Extensible. Python is a language with a high extensibility, being able to connect with other languages. For example, Python can use C and C ++ libraries and functions, as well as being able to integrate Java and .NET components.
4) Big community. Another advantage of Python is that it has a supersize community of developers behind it, always ready to help any newbie. It is the fourth most used language on GitHub. It is very easy to get information about this language on the Internet. Python is an open source language, so the community is responsible for keeping the language updated and adapting it to the needs of the present. In addition, the Python community has created thousands of frameworks, modules, extensions and tools that make it more versatile to develop in this language.
5) Wide labor demand. Today, Python is used by large multinational companies such as Google, Facebook, and IBM. It is very easy to find popular applications and services that have been developed in Python. For something this language has managed to become one of the most requested of the moment. If you are a rookie programmer, it is very useful to be able to show in your curriculum that you know how to code in Python. Also, Python developers have some of the highest salaries in the industry. In the United States, the average salary of a Python developer is way up there.
6) Web development. Python has an extensive array of frameworks available to create websites. It’s very clear that Python is a crucial language for web-based programmers. The most popular are Django, Flash and Pylons, although we also have Zope2, TurboGears, web.py, Grok, web2py, etc. Today, the most popular Python framework is Django, which has been the basis of sites like Pinterest, The New York Times, The Guardian or Instagram. There is a site called Django Sites where it is possible to see all the websites built in Django.
Using Python, it is possible to do in minutes a program that would take hours in PHP. Also, the Python code is faster and more stable. In addition to Django, we can mention them to Flask, whose greatest virtue is the customizable and tiny that it is also possible to perform web scraping to obtain details of other websites.
7) Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning: one of the reasons behind the Python´s popularity is that it is one of the main programming languages used in AI and its sub-fields such as robotics, image processing and calculations. Definitely Python has a solid future in this area, thanks to the launch of its numerical calculation engines, such as Numpy and SciPy, making it possible to perform complex calculations through a single “import” declaration followed by a function call.
Machine learning is the technology behind artificial intelligence, and therefore, its importance is unquestionable. This technology can be used to make predictions from a given algorithm. Python has libraries like Keras and TensorFlow to be used specifically in machine learning. There are also libraries like openCv that work with computer vision and image recognition. Python is expected to master machine learning for a long time, thanks to its flexibility and speed as language.
8) Dynamic typing language: unlike other languages of static type (such as Java, C and C ++), where it is necessary to specify the type of variable to be declared, in Python it is possible to create a variable and assign it a value without worrying about having than to assign it a type, because Python make that work implicitly.
9) Graphics and game development: Python is such a versatile language that it can even be used to generate and manipulate graphics and animations. Python uses the Tkinter library to easily create GUI and desktop applications. In addition, it can also be used for game development, using the pygame module set. There is at least one asteroids game made from it.
10) Big Data: Big Data are too large and complex data sets for traditional data processing programs to handle. This is why Python is sometimes used in data analysis, data mining, data transfer and data storage. Through the use of Python libraries like Pyspark and Dask, it is possible to handle Big Data. There is also a library called Pydoop that allows you to write a MapReduce program and process the data present in the HDFS cluster.
In conclusion, we can say that Python is one of the most important programming languages nowadays, thanks to its simplicity, versatility and power. In fact, in addition to those mentioned in this article, there are even more reasons to use Python. Without a doubt, it is a very appropriate language for both rookie and expert developers.